Growing Unique- a journey of discovery

Rennata Tropeano- Artist, writer and textile designer



Black boat- Water color by Rennata Tropeano
“Black Boat” An original watercolor on Arches acid free 140lb paper. Matted.




This painting is part of my small works series. I was trying to capture the color of the chameleon as it sat on the sun-warmed Terra-cotta title.

More on the Plane

Woven into HistoryAfter a lot of sanding, spackling and more sanding, I finally got to start painting my plane.

Painting a weaving draft around the curve a of a plane is harder than I thought it would be.

The idea was to have various weaving drafts scattered across the plane with shuttles, bobbins and other weaving accessories scattered about as well.  I am not quite sure about this, as the engines seem like they would lend themselves to being turned into shuttles and the engines the bobbins.

The Plane, The Plane!

Planes over Chicopee The planes are finally starting to arrive.  Carol and I are going to be painting our planes at The Gaslight Gallery.  Our planes should be landing sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.  If you have ever wondered how those large painted items were created, drop by in the next couple of weeks and see the process in action.

For more information on the planes,

Painting Floor Cloths

I have always loved compass roses. When I decided to paint a floor cloth for my front porch, it was only natural that I choose to do this complicated project for a first time project.  I am a painter after all, how different can it be.  Compass Rose Floorcloth- WIP The answer to that is very. Since I paint with Golden Open Acrylics, which are slow drying, I decide to pick up some outdoor latex paint, which was what was recommended in an online tutorial that I read. The first picture is how it looked after I painted the first coat of all the colors. Which was great until it dried. All the brownish points, except the darkest color all dried to shades very close to the background color.  I decided to add a drop shadow to the points to make them pop.  Thus the floral floor cloth was born. I needed someplace to try these new shadow techniques. Despite the trying them out on a second floor cloth, I managed to make the first few a little heavy. WIP Painted Floor Cloth

Iris, painted floor cloth

So, I went back in with my background color to lighten them.  Remember that decision to use the outdoor latex paint?

The whole point of using that paint was so that you did not have to try and match paint color when you were doing touch ups.  I would love to say that I took the touch up picture when the paint was still wet, sadly that is what it looked like when it was dry. (And for the 3M purists, that is green scotch painters tape, not frog tape) So now I am touching up the touch ups.

I am not sure how the floral one is going to come out, I have been trying all kinds of new techniques on it, stenciling, stamping, shadows, stippling, blending,etc.  I am happy with how the blending on the flower petal came out.


I promised a follow-up on how the battle to improve SEO was going.  The grade is now up to an 85. More on that later.

Purple Mountains and trees


This is the latest work in progress on the painting with the working title of Purple Mountains. Previous images can be found:

I decided that the mountain were a little too bright and sharp for the distance, so I put in a hazy glaze in over the mountains and into the grass at the background. I blended it into the lower portion of the sky. In this painting, I wanted to create the appearance of a large field with the small pond. In order to help show the scale, I decided to add a grouping of trees. I was very pleased with how the trunks of the trees came out, I was looking at different ways of creating the appearance of texture. I usually try and paint more detail than would be noticeable from a distance so that I then end up smoothing it out and the trees seem flat.  Part of the process is learning to see not what you know is there, but what you actually see.


A Whole Lot of Making Going On.

IMG_20110327_141711 IMG_20110327_224110 IMG_20110326_220304

Today was a busy day.  I finally got around to glazing 14 pieces of ceramics today. I have been been enjoying the throwing and the trimming, but the process of glazing still makes me a bit nervous. Too much glaze and it can melt and stick your piece to the kiln, too little and it does not look right.  While I was working on my birdhouse yesterday, Rosemary was working on her quilt. This was for an English Language Arts class.

On the Beach

One of my current paintings under progress.  I am debating on the title Ocean Blue, or On the Beach.   I know, original 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Powered by

Up ↑